Python and data analysis basics
- Know your way around the command line
- Understand what a virtual environment is
- Understand Git and GitHub
- Learn the basics of Python
- DataCamp has very good adaptive programming courses. Sign up with your @umail.leidenuniv.nl address using the link for free access.
- Intro to Python, by Todd Gureckis
- Students at Leiden University can follow the Introduction to Python course, offered by LIACS.
- Download a Python IDE (Integrated Development Environments). I like PyCharm (you can create a free educational account), other great options are VSCode or
- If you’re happy with a simpler solution, you can use a text editor like Sublime + the trusted Mac OS Terminal (not sure about Windows).
- You can also access DataCamp learning resources with your Leiden Uni account.
- When setting up your project, make sure you’re running it in the right virtual environment to access all your packages.
- Think about the structure of data
For most projects (especially those using behavioral data), your laptop will be more than sufficient to run Python
. If you need more heavy lifting, there are a few options:
- ALICE supercomputer @ Leiden Uni
- LISA / Cartesius clusters @ SurfSara
- Apply through NWO. Very well managed, but since Leiden doesn
’t have a contract with SurfSara you have to apply to extend your account every year.